Sunday, April 27, 2008

Anyday's a good day serving Jesus

On Wednesday of this week, Shanna and I went to Denver for one last girls trip. However, we arranged to volunteer at the Denver Rescue Mission in Downtown Denver for lunch. I know that sounds really random to some, but last year I read an amazing book called Under the Overpass, which talks about someones life spent homeless for four months in various cities. He begins his journey at the Denver Rescue and learns the ways, habits, and rules of the homeless and addicted. Ever since reading that I have wanted to help at the Mission in Denver, so Shanna caught my dream and we pushed for making that a reality before I left. We arrived at 10:30 and were introduced to the program members who were coordinating volunteers and lunch. We bagged up peanuts to give out and then it was time for the first lunch shift -- this is for the volunteers, the staff, and the program members (the Mission is primarily a rehab program). Then we cut up some vegetables for a salad they were having dinner and it was time for the second lunch shift -- this is for anyone off the streets. Shanna and I bussed the tables and brought them water as they ate -- over 200 were served lunch that day. We could not stop smiling,we were having so much fun! Those guys were great. We actually ended up racing to tables to beat some of the program guys who had to help -- Cecil, Ivan, and David. They were protective of us from the other guys, but they were just so helpful and glad to be there. Shanna and I kept asking the rehabers if they were having a good day, and expecting a typical answer of 'yeah' we were blown away when they answered "Anydays a good day serving Jesus". I just left the mission wanting that to always be my answer. And mean it. Any day should be a good day because I am alive and able to serve God. Another cool part was just getting a tour of the place and seeing all the work the Mission does. Anyways it was awesome! And we loved it.
These lyrics described my thoughts after I left the Mission: "Well I'm not talking about a smile so fake, while the world takes pictures 24/7. I just want my faith to a little more real, what you see is what you get, what you see is how I feel."

1 comment:

Callie said...

Wow Becca! Those lyrics are awesome. They actually brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad you got to experience the mission. I read that book, too. I think shortly after I got back from Yosemite. I can't believe you're coming home in a few days!