Thursday, April 10, 2008

Beauty

So this isn't for people to neccesarily respond to or for people to judge me on. Its more of me to share my heart and struggle right now and for me to try to let go of it.
What determines beauty? Who is beautiful and who isn't? If we are fearfully and wonderfully made, created in the image of God why do I feel inadequate? Furthermore, Jesus had "no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him". And Peter says that "your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." Umm well everyone that knows me knows that I do not have a gentle and quiet spirit. As tonight's conversation showed. But yet all I hear is beauty is skin, and makeup, and revealing clothing. And while I have been here, all that has gone by the wayside. I spend my days in burnt orange uni-sex uniforms, flooding pants, hair pulled back, and little to no makeup. And then add layers of clothing, gloves, hat, and sunglasses, and I'm completely covered. haha maybe some of my sexy neck is showing. Most of the guys here only want to see beauty as skin, makeup, and revealing clothing so after a while it definitely starts to wear on you...
The funny thing is... well its not surprising the way God works... that is the very thing that we want to teach the 5th grade girls at the retreat. Great. I guess I get to really learn the lesson before I can teach it.
What is beauty and who determines it?

No comments: